CLASS TOMORROW: Rescuing a Parent’s Weak Heart by a Strong Savior
I finished my notes for tomorrow’s class and what I thought starting out is that it would be tough to fill a one hour class with this topic, has turned into far too much for one hour. So I will give an overview tomorrow and fill in the gaps on this website.
Here is the basic outline:
- The operative word of the lesson is grace. I will define it as it applies to parenting. It can be easily misunderstood and misapplied.
- God often works through your weakness as a parent to display his glory.
- You must be an authentic example of the gospel to your children (2 Timothy 3:14,15)and not let pride dominate you so as to be seen a hypocrite by them. The first and foremost place to be an example is in how you carry out your role as a husband or wife.
- The biggest obstacle to our parenting is our own selfish hearts. James 4:1-10 indicates we have struggles with out children because of wrong and selfish desires by both. The principle of inescapable influence will be explained where what controls our hearts, controls our lives and if it is not God-centered, then it is idolatry.
- Not having a proper understanding of grace will eventually crush you.
Key verse: 2 Peter 1:2; “May grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord.”